Sunday, August 2, 2015

The Little Red Brick LUG Show SG50 Edition LEGO Showcase

Parliament House

In celebration of Singapore's 50th Birthday, the Little Red Brick LUG Show presents a special SG50 Edition LEGO Showcase featuring memorable buildings, landmarks, places, events and objects both past and present. The event is now on till 28 August 2015 at the National Library Bugis at the open Plaza on level one. I dropped by the first day for a look.  


Since the event is at the National Library let's start at the former National Library which was located at Stamford Road. The iconic red brick building is splendidly recreated here. There's even the hawker centre which was just in front of it. That reminds me, I haven't had a good bowl of wanton noodles in awhile. My parents used to bring me to the library when I was little. It's hard to believe now but I loved to read. The Three Investigators and the Mr Twiddle books by Enid Blyton were among my favourites. I also remember hoarding the Asterix and Tintin books while I was there. Lol.

National Library

I love the extra bits of detail in the build. There's a Bookworm Club poster hanging on the wall.


Also the computer screens with green words. I don't know about you but a lot of times I couldn't find a book after performing a "search".



Here's a familiar sight. My grandparents used to hang a Chinese calendar on the wall like this. While I don't recall seeing a huge tin of Khong Guan biscuits around the house, I certainly do remember eating a lot of those little biscuits with the icing on top. 



This was what we used to play back in the 80s, the Game & Watch. Aside from Octopus I also remember Parachute, Donkey Kong and Fire. There were many others but these were what I bugged friends to let me play. Western Bar would come out later and that game was my absolutely favourite! 



Buses then and now. The look of them are spot on!




Some sights. The row of Peranakan houses is so colourful! I like the little red post boxes. And there's even the green trash bins and the blue recycling bins. Nice!


A view of the CBD area. Fantastic isn't it?


The Pinnacle @ Duxton. You have to appreciate the effort put into all of the builds.



Remember this? Singa the Courtesy Lion. "Courtesy is for free...".


Who can forget our football heroes of the early 90s.



I queued up for the Hello Kitty back in 2000. It was for my *ahem* younger relatives of course. 



You can see more of the showcase here:

SG50 LEGO Showcase NLB


They were still setting up when I was there so my gallery is incomplete. Do drop by the exhibition and take a walk down memory lane.  

Thanks for viewing!

Left-Right: Gardens by the Bay, Marina Bay Sands, Merlion, Singapore Flyer, Changi Airpost, Esplanade Theatres

No comments: