Saturday, August 22, 2015

G.I.Joe 50th Anniversary Chase for the M.A.S.S Device 3-Pack


I got a nice surprise the other day. I found some of the G.I.Joe 50th Anniversary line at the local Toys 'R Us. I promptly picked out a couple of figures, including this Chase for the M.A.S.S Device 3-pack.


Here's the packaging. I got excited when I saw the logo. I haven't seen it in awhile. The theme song was playing in my head when I picked it up. There's a cool image of Snake Eyes on the left. There are also familiar vehicles like the Cobra HISS Tank and the G.I.Joe Sky Hawk on the package. The figures display well in the large window. 



The file cards are included. There's no need to cut them out here. Each character has two cards which are printed in four different languages, including English, French  and Spanish. I'm not sure what is the last language. 


This 3-pack may be familiar to some of you. It's basically a re-release of the Best of 80's DVD Battles Pack minus Alpine. I'm happy to be able to get it this time round, and from the local store too. I wanted this not so much for the figures, but for the accessories. Those who watched the 80s G.I.Joe move will understand. There are several elements here from the opening such as the video camera, Duke's jetpack and the Cobra detonation device.

The figures are repaints from the 25th Anniversary line. Their colours are more cartoon accurate. The most notable one being Duke who now has a brighter tan shirt and light green pants. His uniform looks a little plain and I would have liked if his epaulettes and medal were painted. He also lacks the strap across his chest but I guess he can borrow that from the previous version. He's got a new head sculpt. He has a shouting expression. I can just imagine him crying "Yo Joe!". The paint for his facial features are excellent. They made another improvement from the 25th Anniversary figure and that is the forearm swivel is now at the sleeves instead of being in the middle of the forearm. It definitely looks so much better. 


























Accessories. Duke comes with a rifle, a pistol, a jetpack, a harness, the American flag and a base. The video camera and stand may be used by any character. I included them here to balance the picture. It's a great accessory which I'll probably use with other lines. 


Cobra Commander too has some changes. The face plate is better shaped. You can see a vertical line down the centre of it which is how it should be. The face plate also has a nice shine to it. The helmet has the silver paint detail which the previous figure did not. I like that the Cobra logo is positioned more accurately at the left side of his chest compared to at the center. One complaint which isn't as apparent on the previous figure is his right leg is longer than his left. You have to stand him with bent knees. His body will end up being slanted. 


























Cobra Commander comes with the Cobra C.L.A.W, a parachute, the explosive device and a base. Note the hole in his parachute. This allows him to use the C.L.A.W. while wearing the parachute. The C.LA.W is very plain and could use some paint detail. Or stickers. I love the explosive device. Who ever holds it is in trouble though with the countdown at 0001. I'm disappointed he didn't come with his gun.


The last figure in this pack is the Cobra Claws Trooper. He was previously called a Cobra Paratrooper. In any case it's basically your standard trooper with different gear. His eyes were well painted. He's got pretty menacing look. The parachute is removable but it's pain to do so. 


























The CLAWS Trooper comes with a helmet, a rifle, a knife and a base.


Here's how they look fully equipped. I forgot to mention the Cobra C.L.A.W has two missiles which are detachable. 


Articulation

Duke and Cobra Commander have a ball joint neck, ball hinge shoulders, swivel hinge elbows, forearms swivel, torso pivot, ball hips, double jointed knees and ankle swivel and hinge.

The Cobra CLAWS Trooper has a ball joint neck, ball hinge shoulders, swivel hinge elbows, wrist swivel, torso pivot, ball hips, double jointed knees and ankle swivel and hinge. While wearing the parachute the use of the torso pivot and ball hips is hindered. 

































Comparison shots.




There are now better versions of these characters available. Still this is a nice set to pick up if you're not too particular. You can get both "leaders" and some cool accessories.  Thanks for viewing!



1 comment:

Hobgoblin238 said...

Your pics are always so great.